Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Man Doesn't Tell A Woman What To Do



In the racetrack crowd, Devlin finds Alicia (he has previously arranged to see her) and speaks to her in whispered tones. She gives him the names of Alex's dinner guests and describes the incident with the wine bottle with Emil - and the fact that she hasn't seen Emil since. Then, she admits to Devlin "for the record" that she has conquered Alexander by using her experienced sexuality to convince him of her trustworthiness. Uncomfortable with her revelations, Devlin turns icy, punishing and sarcastic. He is not willing to painfully admit that he cruelly and passively let her go to engage in the dangerous espionage plot. Now more infuriated and jealous of her association with Sebastian, and experiencing intensely-wounded pride, he spitefully denies ever having loved her in a lethal torrent of bickering words:

Alicia: You can add Sebastian's name to my list of playmates.
Devlin (stunned and amazed, almost bitter): Pretty fast work.
Alicia: That's what you wanted, wasn't it?
Devlin: Skip it!..I've been recalling some of your remarks about being a new woman. Daisies and buttercups, wasn't it?
Alicia: You idiot. What are you sore about? You knew very well what I was doing.
Devlin: Did I?
Alicia: You could have stopped me. Just one word. But no, you wouldn't. You threw me at him.
Devlin: I threw you at nobody.
Alicia: Didn't you tell me to go ahead?
Devlin: A man doesn't tell a woman what to do. She tells herself. You almost had me believing in that little hokey-pokey miracle of yours. If a woman like you could ever change her spots.
Alicia: Oh, you're rotten.
Devlin: That's why I didn't try to stop you. And the answer had to come from you.
Alicia: I see. Some kind of love test.
Devlin: That's right.
Alicia: Well, you never believed in me anyways so what's the difference.
Devlin: Lucky for both of us I didn't. It wouldn't have been pretty if I believed in you. If I'd figured: 'She'll never be able to go through with this. She's been made over by love.'
Alicia: (She hides her pain, anguish and tears in her eyes from him by viewing the race through a pair of binoculars.) If you only once had said that you loved me. Oh, Dev.
Devlin: Listen. You chalked up another boyfriend. That's all. No harm done.
Alicia: I hate you.
Devlin: There's no occasion to. You're doing good work. Number 10's out in front. It looks as if Sebastian knows how to pick 'em.
Alicia: Is that all you have to say to me?
Devlin: Dry your eyes baby. It's out of character. Keep on your toes. There's a tough job around. Snap out of it. Here comes dreamboat.

No comments: